The Southwestern College Counseling program is fully approved by the Higher Learning Commission, and offers a number of distinctive advantages over most other clinical programs.
1. Our holistic, integrative clinical curriculum combines current evidence-based practices in the field, with exposure to alternative and indigenous healing perspectives, traditions and ceremony, for a true multicultural flavor and training experience.
2. We have a transformational and experiential teaching/learning philosophy, so you learn by being and doing, and exploring your own truth, rather than being required to adopt the points of view of instructors or “experts.”
3. We offer a distinct emphasis on your personal transformation as well as your development as a compassionate, mindful, reflective, and deeply self-aware psychotherapist. You become your own first client, and experience the process of personal transformation yourself. This learning by experiencing helps you work transformationally with clients as a counselor.
4. We encourage our student therapists to cultivate a practice of focusing on clients’ strengths, internal resources, and capacity for healing and growth. We see the full person in all their potential and light—not just a diagnostic category. This means that your training will have this humanistic, compassionate emphasis–rather than the detached and disconnected approach found in many therapies and programs.
5. Our certificate programs amplify the power of your Master’s degree, and enhance your career options significantly. The certificate areas are Addictions, Abuse & Recovery; Applied Interpersonal Neurobiology; Children’s Mental Health; Human Sexuality; Infant Mental Health; Transformational Eco-Psychology and Trauma, Grief & Renewal.
6. In our Conscious Entrepreneurship Initiative, we offer free training in “how to create a private practice,” as well as how to develop a web and social media presence to support your own private therapy practice, or coaching and consulting practice. We also post available jobs from all across the United States every month, coach interested students in doctoral program options, and assist them with resumes and their professional presentation.
7. Southwestern College runs the Tierra Nueva Counseling Center for your training experiences. Using a true sliding scale for its clients, Tierra Nueva offers students clinical experiences with the diverse population that makes up northern New Mexico. Many programs have students do practicum in the university setting, where ethnic and socioeconomic diversity is typically much more limited.