Dr. Gabor Maté, July 23, 2017 in Santa Fe, NM
- Home ›
- Dr. Gabor Maté, July 23, 2017 in Santa Fe, NM
The 36th Annual Transformation & Healing Conference, July 19 – 23, 2017 in Santa Fe, NM
Keynote Presenter on July 23, 9am–5:30pm
Gabor Maté, M.D.
The Hungry Ghost: A Biospsychosocial Perspective on Addiction,
from Heroin to Workaholism
(full day workshop includes lunch)
7 CECs Available
To be held at The Institute for Indian Arts (IAIA)
83 Avan Nu Po Road, Santa Fe, NM 87508
(Note: Ticket price of $160 includes a lunch ticket. IAIA is not convenient to any restaurants, so lunch will be provided in the IAIA cafeteria. Several dietary options will be available, including meat, vegetarian, vegan and gluten-free.)
Contrary to what is often claimed, the source of addictions is not to be found in genes, but in the early childhood environment where the neurobiology of the brain’s reward pathways develops and the where the emotional patterns that lead to addiction are wired into the unconscious. Stress, both then and later in life, creates the predisposition for addictions, whether to drugs, alcohol, nicotine, or to behavioral addictions such as shopping or sex.
Some topics that will be addressed:
• What happens chemically and physiologically in the brains of people with substance dependency or behavior addiction?
• The development of the addicted mind: how early childhood experiences shape the brain;
• The social basis of addiction in economic, cultural and political dislocation and disempowerment;
• Developing a therapeutic relationship in which healing is possible