M.A. in Art Therapy/Counseling
- American Art Therapy Association (AATA) approved program since 1998
- Degree prepares graduates for licensure as a Professional Art Therapist and as a Counselor in NM and other states
- 98 quarter units (equivalent to approx. 60 semester units)
- Practicum happens within our own Tierra Nueva Counseling Center with faculty guidance and supervision if you are taking the program on the ground. If you are taking the program online practicum will occur locally at a mental health agency. The online program is available pending approval by the Higher Learning Commission.
- Internships can take place in any state
- Capstone Projects
- Transformational, experiential learning approach shared by faculty and students
- Full-time year program (2.5 or 3 years) or part-time program (3.5 years) available.
- Option to concentrate in School Counseling or Consciousness in Action.
- Certificate programs in Childrens Mental Health, Applied Interpersonal Neurobiology, Ecotherapy, Addictions, Abuse & Recovery, Human Sexuality and Trauma, Grief and Renewal can be taken concurrently with the program to add a specialty.
During their Practicum and Internship our students work with diverse issues and problems to offer a variety of experiences. Besides doing outpatient work with local children, adolescents and adults, our students may choose to work with clients from social service agencies, inpatient settings, schools, hospitals, rehabilitation facilities, shelters, detention centers, open studios and outdoor/equine centers. The possibilities for developing clinical and art-based skills are endless. Because of our students’ wide range of interests, we intentionally seek faculty with very diverse work experience and theoretical stances. We don’t teach “one way” of doing art therapy or counseling. We encourage you to learn and experience such richness and variety here that you BECOME an art therapist and counselor from the inside, out.
There is a sense of genuine community within the school that is nourished by faculty, administration and students. The on the ground students have the opportunity to come out to the art therapy studio where the sense of community is particularly strong as we informally make art, talk together and explore our creativity. During Portfolio Review, Students also share a review of significant artwork that they created during the first year. This is an opportunity for students to informally share their experiences from first year, with art therapy faculty, through their own imagery.
It is an exciting time to join us and we encourage you to contact the Admissions Office to discuss in greater detail how you can launch your career in art therapy. For those who already possess a Master’s degree in counseling, social work, psychology or psychiatry and wish to pursue a Master’s degree in Art Therapy please see our Master’s degree in Art Therapy for Clinical Professionals.
For inspirational stories about “Where SWC Graduates Work,” click here! (This could be you…)
Art Therapy/Counseling Program Chair
Deborah Schroder, M.S., ATR-BC, LPAT
Program Chair for Art Therapy/Counseling Program
For more Art Therapy photos and images on Pinterest,