M.A. in Counseling
We welcome your interest in our master’s program in Counseling. The Southwestern College Counseling program is fully approved by the Higher Learning Commission, and offers a number of distinctive advantages over most other clinical programs.
- Our holistic, integrative clinical curriculum combines current evidence-based practices in psychotherpy with exposure to alternative and indigenous healing perspectives, traditions and ceremony, for a true multicultural flavor and training experience.
- We have a transformational and experiential teaching/learning philosophy, so you learn by being, doing and exploring your own truth.
- We offer a heavy emphasis on your personal transformation and development as a compassionate, mindful, reflective, and deeply self-aware psychotherapist. You become your own first client by experiencing the process of personal transformation yourself. This allows you work transformationally with clients.
- We encourage our student therapists to cultivate a practice of focusing on clients’ strengths, internal resources and capacity for healing and growth. We see the full person in all their potential and light—not just a diagnostic category. This means that your training will have this humanistic, compassionate emphasis rather than the detached and disconnected approach found in many therapies and programs.
- New Earth Institute certificate programs in Human Sexuality, Infant Mental Health, Trauma, Grief & Renewal, Children’s Mental Health, Transformational Eco-Psychology, and Applied Interpersonal Neurobiology amplify the power of your master’s degree and enhance your career options. Licensed therapists from the community attend these courses for CECs, allowing you to begin networking within the northern New Mexico professional community.
- Our Conscious Entrepreneurship Initiative offers free training in creating a private practice and developing a web and social media presence to support your private therapy, coaching or consulting practice. We post jobs from all across the United States every month, coach interested students in doctoral program options, and assist them with resumes and their professional presentation.
- Southwestern College runs the Tierra Nueva Counseling Center for your training experiences. Using a true sliding scale for its clients, TNCC offers you clinical experiences with the diverse population that makes up northern New Mexico. Many programs have students do practicum in the university setting, where ethnic and socioeconomic diversity is typically much more limited.
- Degree programs prepare graduates for licensure in NM and other states
- 91 quarter units (equivalent to approx. 60 semester units)
- Both practicum and internship experiences
- Full-time two year program; part-time options also available
- Diverse faculty within small classroom settings offer personal attention and mentorship opportunities
Students develop their own professional counselor identities during the coursework and through a year-long practicum and internship experience. Practicum occurs at the Southwestern Counseling Center; internships can be accomplished in or out of state in the last two quarters of the program.
All Master’s degree students are required to fulfill a personal therapy requirement of 40 face-to-face hours with a mental health professional licensed in New Mexico. The experience of being a client teaches Art Therapy/Counseling students about the nature of the therapeutic relationship, including an appreciation of the emotional life of the client. The experience also provides an opportunity for personal growth that strengthens emotional balance and therapeutic skills.
Our Master’s degree program in Counseling prepares students for a wide range of meaningful careers in the helping and healing professions.
If you are interested in a degree program, please review the Degree Admissions Requirements, and download and complete the Degree Application Packet. It is an exciting time to join us and we encourage you to contact the Admissions Office to discuss in greater detail how you can launch your career.
For inspirational stories about “Where SWC Graduates Work”, click here! (This could be you…)
Counseling Program Chair
Laura L. Lansrud-López, M.S., M.A., LPCC, LPAT, ATR-BC